Tuesday, February 11, 2014

the new nest

Originally, this blog was created for me to share my love of design and various products with the world but since having our first {God-willing of many} child in August, our lives have turned upside down.  I have always been a closet health nut, granola, crunchy, hippie at heart person.  Drawn towards all things natural- I credit this to being raised in Alaska. It is impossible to not love nature when you live there for 18 years.   Somehow, after moving to Dallas it all got away from me. It could be that there really is only shopping and restaurants here, so this city doesn't exactly promote a healthy, all natural life style.  I would walk, run, bike more if it weren't 100+ degrees in the summer or if it were possible to do so without inhaling your weight in smog.  Dallas is considered one of the most materialistic cities in the nation so that does offer more clarity as why it may be more difficult to focus on the things that are {should be} more important in one's life.  Can you tell I miss the mountains yet? While it has it's challenges, you should be able to have a healthy lifestyle and promote a natural life no matter where you live. It may be more enjoyable and much, much easier in other locations but it is possible. {but really, Dallas isn't all that bad so please don't think I am an uber hater- it's just not where my heart is!}

So, needless to say, it has taken me a while, but in the last couple of years, I have been returning to my "roots" so to say.  Feeling the draw of the mountains, fresh air, nature and peace & quiet has only been multiplied since having Luke.  So has the drive to eat clean, be around nature, not fill a prescription for every little ailment and to really look at what we are allowing in our bodies and around us. For me, having a baby centered me: it brought everything into perspective about what is important and opened my eyes again.  They say that it becomes all about baby.  You sacrifice everything for them and want what is best for your child, putting their needs above yours.  That is true- every bit of it.  L just turned 6 months and the past 6 months (but more for the 9 months before that) I have been stopping myself before to ask the question, "Is that really the best for my baby?" Now, I can't say that it hasn't stopped me from the occasional fast food meal or dessert or doctors visit, but it has caused me to pause and consider things with a definite soberness.  It has also caused us to really strive to be in an environment where we can raise our children around nature with our goal to live in Colorado within the next few years.  It's amazing how a child can force you to have the drive you need.

With L now being 6 months, I finally feel like we are getting some balance in our lives {as you can see since I haven't blogged in a year} and that is coming from the acceptance that you can give your child what they need while still taking care of yourself.  It's not all or nothing- because this healthy, natural lifestyle benefits us all- myself, my husband and our son.  It may have officially launched because of him, but I am thankful that that prodding was what we needed- something outside of ourselves to get us to focus on the good.  Something to bring out what had been lost in me, to bring it back to the surface.

So this blog is staying as the "girl nest door" because it is about me sharing my heart, passions, home {nest} and family. Think of it as our adventures in raising Luke Ryder {and trying to do better by him!}  So, this is our journey. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment